Salamanca. Plaza Mayor

An 18th-century plaza; its construction was initiated in 1729 by Rodrigo Caballero. The project was led by the architect Alberto de Churriguera, who was followed by his nephew Manuel de Lara Churriguera and definitively by Andrés García de Quiñones. It is located in the centre of the city and forms a rectangle; at the rear it looks onto the Plaza del Mercado. An effigy of King Fernando III the Holy stands out over the central arch of this enclosure.

 


Coordinates: 40.965125,-5.664180