This is one of the most magnificent ensembles of Gothic architecture in Spain and has been declared a World Heritage Site by the UNESCO. Its original layout and very unusual elevation make it a building which is also noted for its harmony. It suffices to look at the twin spires which rise to the sky in a profusion of lace-like shapes. Inside the building a bronze gravestone marks the resting place of the legendary Cid Campeador, Rodrígo Díaz de Vivar, and his wife Jimena. Its construction lasted from 1221 to 1765 and although Gothic style predominates numerous artistic references can be found all over the building.